Regular GA #12
October 25, 2017
P- Howie Ronsayro
PV- Miguel Paje
P- Ian Serrano
P- Betina Sales
P- Kevin Lobo
P- Camille Gregorio
P- Joaquin De Guzman
P- Jolo Zagala
P- Iyla Ferrer
P- Jeremiah Tomas
P- Josh Quimbo
P- Jackie Comendador
P- Theresa Morada
EA- Kayla Fabi
P- Louise Faraon
P- Yana Chan
P- Javi Vilchez
PV- Angelo Porciuncula
P- Stephanie Shin
PV- PRESENT & VOTING
UL- UNEXCUSED LATE
UA- UNEXCUSED ABSENT
Summary of the Meeting:
1. GA Tidbits
1. GA Tidbits
- World: Stricter screening as 120-day travel ban on refugees expires
- Local: Russian military defense will be handing over equipment to the Philippines
- UP: UP lost against Adamson but game serves as Juan GDL's breakthrough
- Random: Alibaba founder Jack Ma arrives in DLSU for a talk
- Cams: In terms of finance, we halfed with OBEM so the cost wasn’t so bad. The transportation was the problem. i think the company was fun since the office of NEDA was nice. It went on for an hour so it got dragging. Sir Pernia showed up, so people were starstruck since he doesn’t always show up.
- Cams: Points for improvement would be better attendance since NEDA was expecting 30 but only 19 went.
- Angelo: Some of the talks were dragging since they weren’t so relevant to Econ @ Work like some parts of the PDP.
- Louise: The tour was really nice since we visited all the floors, so we were exposed to the different work. Some of them were really welcoming and gave candies.
- Je: Attendance would have been better if there were more SESC people there and it would be nice if we fixed transportation since OBEM had to Uber home.
- Miguel: There were a lot of people who we were surprised went.
- Howie: DO you feel like it’s something we can continue?
- Iyla: Yes, but we could improve attendance.
- Cams: It will be on November 11, so please share the pubs. Who can go? We need help with manning the reg booth. Going: Bets, Cams, Javi, Yana, Jolo*, Ian, Joaquin, Je, Angelo, Theresa*, Howie, Josh
- Cams: We need to provide one performance.
- Howie: Je plans to have sign ups for E-dance, but please make sure you have people tapped already so they can also ask others to join.
- Je: I plan to ask Bisuna and Cel to sing. I’ll look into other people who can perform.
- Louise: Kuya JJ was really good since he even gave handouts and was on time. 30 people signed up but only 13 showed up since 131 Florentino had a make up class. If only I had known, we would have gotten a smaller room. We didn’t get to use the mic, so the payment was a little bit of a waste. My core and Kayla were not able to go, so attendance was down. My batchmates were hoping it could be on a Wednesday instead, but we have GA.
- Miguel: Did you check the calendar?
- Louise: Yes, but the other orgs’ events are internal events, so maybe the orgs did not put them in the SEAC calendar.
- Jackie: Just like before, maybe we could get 105 for a smaller room.
- Ian: I appreciated it since I know how to use STATA now.
- Je; For 131, Sir Jhiedon will be getting people in class to discuss 4 topics, so maybe we can partner with him to open it to non-Guidon classes.
- Howie: For R Seminar, start looking for a possible speaker. If it can’t push through now, better next sem.
- Kevin: There was a storm coming so some of them pulled out, it went from around 70 to 50. The week before us, there was a bazaar that got flooded, so some concessionnaires from there that are also our contacts got traumatized.
- Kevin: It all went well though since some of the bazaar stalls got to sell a lot and a lot of people went.
- Kevin: I’ve already reserved a bazaar for next sem so we can save up for Econ Week.
- Josh: SO far, 23 people have been helped. Only 5 of them need more constant session so they were referred to the OCG. This is how I know it was effective and some even messaged me thanking me for the opportunity.
- Josh: Since it’s new, I need to think of how to go about it. I’m not sure if my current system is hassle or coordinating is just hassle in general since we cannot control some things such as consultants or patients backing out. When this happens though, consultants come in so I’m not sure if moving it was a blessing in disguise or that’s just how it is.
- Joaquin: Jolo and I have the pub plan already, from the culminight pictures to the video. It’ll be Christmas-themed.
- Howie: If you’ll notice, the Lantern Parade is scheduled on the same week as our exams, and based on the recent class suspensions, it might really coincide. Despite this, let’s do our best to hatak on these days.
- Jolo: We’re trying to go more for the celebration of Christmas. Christmas is more of the company and food and I want people to feel like they can celebrate this in Econ. We’ll push more for the on-ground promotions this time.
- Je: We’ll be coordinating with Ma’am Kraft regarding the design.
- Cams: We can’t move yet since Chancy hasn’t given a theme and he’s going to give it around November which is too clutch so we plan to make it more generic.
- Je: We plan to solicit money from the alumni homecoming. We also plan to invite alumni to help design or set up for lantern parade.
- Howie: Je, kindly set a meeting already. Jolo and Joaquin, please start coordinating already.
- Joaquin: Glenn and I will try fixing up the council room to see if we can take the pictures here.
- Miguel: In the last year, it’s not really Christmas-y but more on the holidays. So it was more on “happy holidays”. Maybe we can also integrate the SEAC orgs.
- Jolo: Yeah, I have ideas for them too.
- Howie: Kindly start updating us every GA so we know what’s happening.
- Je: Schoolympics Basketball tomorrow in LGV, 6-9PM. I’m going to be late since I have to go to DZUP for a class requirement. I’m asking Alec to take charge and I also have a referre for it.
- Je: I’m still contacting PAN-ALPHA for the cooking class which will be held in CHE. I’ll get a quotation for the ingredients and fundraise for it if ever.
- Iyla: We have new acquisitions: PDP and Philippine Commission Act editions. It’s really nice since they’re both new. There will be a Econ 101 tutorial on November 3 and a Econ 102 tutorials on November 10.
- Iyla: We have 106 Navarro Tutorials SE 123 and another on Friday.
- Iyla: Please tell me your exams a week and a day before your exam.
- Iyla: Our FGD is entitled “Which train will you board?” There are 2 drafts of the bill, from the House and Senate. We’ve sent org partner letters as well as invitations to unions. We’ll be expecting 60 attendees. We’re hoping the bicameral form doesn’t come out before the FGD since we’ll have to update a lot of parts in our primer.
- Iyla: We have an NYC GA tomorrow, 4-5:30PM and a Facis Orientation at 5:30-7PM.
- Cams: Instructions only for today. We’ll talk about the final branding next week. Our primary stakeholders are the Econ students, Alumni, SEAC, and admin, but our reach also extends to the NGO and corporate partners, as well as other student councils and organizations.
- Council branding can be divided into 5, political, internal
- Individual: Each council member has a target market. Using one phrase or word, give one word that can describe how you want your position to be viewed.
- Council was divided into political (Statements Team), external (MARC, Chair, Econ Rep), financial (Finance), publicity & promotions (MARC and M&P), internal (Internals, BRA, Vice Chair)
- Howie: There won’t be class Wednesday next week, so we need to decide when to have it. Is Thursday, 5PM okay?
- *Consensus yes*
- Howie: When I checked the calendar, there’s nothing on December 5, so I was thinking of having it then.
- Miguel: I think it’s a little late.
- Howie: I was thinking of making it more of a culminating event like thanking them and having a GPak.
- Ian: We should have core awards.
- Howie: Please add me to your core groups so I can also post for example, the remaining events.
- Ian: We met last Friday to try making sense out of the responses. There were 2 questions on the form: What are your thoughts? What are your recommendations?
- Ian: When we tried generalizing it, it came down to three things: first, students do not have the information about the rule and some are yet not exposed to its effects, so they are for its implementation. Second, some are okay with the rationale as long as slots are available. Third, those who are against the rationale want the students to learn at their own pace, and they argue that rule is redundant with the maintain EWA rule.
- Ian: The TWG needs to discuss what to put in the paper. We’ll discuss the content, approach and position this Friday.
- Iyla: Howie, right you have an update regarding the rationale?
- Howie: Based on what the admin said, they want to maintain the standards of the school and so the students may know whether they should still stay or not.
- Ian: Some shiftees were not aware of ti so much yet through the STO.
- Iyla: My core said that some people don’t know the cases of expulsion, so maybe we can focus on these cases because these are our strongest evidences or leverage to prove how it’s really a problem.
- Howie: At the top of my head, there were 6 cases from last year.
- Ian: I’ll talk to Ma’am Magno personally that we’re working on it.
- Iyla: Will we be posting it as soon as it’s done?
- Ian: We aren’t sure yet when but it will be posted publicly for sure.
- Ian: We had a core meeting last week and we talked about our remaining initiatives and events. We were thiking of topics for Econsult.
- Iyla: My core and I got to think of some.
- Ian: We were thinking of having an Econsult on Tax Reform so we have an SESC stand on TRAIN. We plan to have one for GE Reform too since the formulation fo a new curriculum is being made. We need to make sure that we get input from the students.
- Ian: We’ll release a Free Market article on he Foreign Policy of Duterte around ASEAN week so it’s timely. 2 possible topics we can talk about are Transportation Economics in lieu of the jeepney modernization plan and Labor Economics.
- Ian: There’s a recyclable fair tomorrow and we need to give 5kg worth of recyclables tomorrow and on Friday.
- Jolo: Humans of UPSE hopefully to be released this Saturday. It depends on the availability of the person if the interviewee can go on Friday. The Scratch Paper Initiative has been approved so the implementation will be care of EJ. It should be implemented by the time we get back from the break.
- Je: We’re collecting medicine donations for Marawi.
- Cams: Collection period on October 24-November_. To be a partner, we just need to share the pub and have the box placed in the building. It’s in partnership with Corps of Cadets. *Major partnership*
- Joaquin: We plan to pub the official SESC website by feature by week.
- Iyla: If you’re going home during the November break, please be back by November 17 (1-4PM) since we have a last GA and dry run of everything.
- Yana: Electives 101 is less than a month from now, so we just want to know who can speak.
- Howie: You’ll be working with the Freshie Batch Reps regarding this so try surveying which Electives your batchmates want then post them in the group so we can suggest speakers.
- Howie: All Council Chairpersons will be meeting with Chancy tomorrow, so if you have any concerns besides the beautification project and 4-sem rule, let me know tomorrow before 2PM.