Regular GA #2: August 7, 2019
- Josh: Before we start, Vina has a meeting with Acad-Alliance and she knows na if she arrives beyond 4:45 she will be late.
- Steph: Did she explain why today?
- Josh: I think the availability ng officers niya. So vote, all those in favor to excuse Vina? (Je, Reg). Those unexcused (everyone else).
I. GA Tidbits - House Rebreb
- Klause: World News - Bilbao Gang Rape Case, Police Search for Suspects (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49248954). Spanish police are investigating after an 18-year-old woman reported that she was gang raped by a group of men in a park in Bilbao on 1 August. Six men were arrested following the incident, but four were released after a judge said the woman had not provided a clear description of them. The accused men are aged between 18 and 36 and are of North African origin, Spanish media report. The woman was treated in hospital and discharged a few hours later. None of the men have been charged.
- Josh: Local News - Philippines Declares Dengue Outbreak National Epidemic (https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/philippines-declares-dengue-outbreak-epidemic-64799416). The Philippines' Department of Health on Tuesday declared the country's outbreak of dengue to be a national epidemic. The agency said Health Secretary Francisco Duque III made the declaration to improve the response to the outbreak by allowing local governments to draw on a special Quick Response Fund. It said the Philippines recorded 146,062 cases of dengue from January through July 20 this year, 98% more than the same period in 2018. It said the outbreak caused 622 deaths.
- Zion: UP News - 5 resolutions of the BOR meeting (https://www.facebook.com/166231563437226/posts/2412135672180126/). Earlier today, members of the Board of Regents, housing administrators, and student representatives held a dialogue to discuss and create resolutions for the student and faculty dorm crisis. After which, the OSH and the USC also went around the alternative housing areas to check all areas that will be opened for students.
- Mario: Random News - Post Malone is Dropping a New Album on September.
II. Grand Pakain Evaluations - Internals
- Giselle: Strength - Naubos yung food and mabilis yung set up since a lot people helped for that. Marami nagsabi na masarap yung food. Okay rin na tayo yung nagproprovide since we get to measure how much food to give. With the rain, siguro, okay na umulan since na-straded yung tao sa ulan.
- Improvement - How to lessen waste like the bilao is reusable but we don’t know how to reuse it. Kulang yung pandesal
- Josh: Di ko kasalanan yun since I ordered the day before 100 pandesal tas hindi binigyan ng receipt. and then the next day I arrived tapos kala niya joke yun so 60 lang naprepare na pandesal. And for the bilao, best siguro to throw the foil and bring it back to sila ate.
- Giselle: Okay.
- Je: Question, did we get from ASEO?
- Giselle: No. I think its better rin since we know how much the capacity of the food we get.
- Reg: In response to that, last year they bought food lang, but our suggestion was that internals nalang or to give a corresponding amount. Personally, its good rin cause ayoko maghingi from them since they have their own struggles.
- Je: The waste, did it include plates?
- Giselle: It says in the pub to bring reusable containers but konti lang yung nagdala.
- Je: Suggestion nalang, maybe we can incentivize the bringing of containers by serving extra since we are gonna have more in the future and we are in partnership with ASEO for environmental campaigns.
- Josh: yeah like extra lumpia
- Zion: Oo maganda yun
- Josh: Dapat nagbigay tayo ng colgate and tang rin. Also its good that we were all there so tuloy lang yun. Any more questions and suggestions? Okay moving on.
III. Core GA Updates - Chairperson
- Josh: So core GA na is on Wednesday next week and not Thursday. The first GA is the only one sa SE 114 but the next ones are in the old tambayan na so we don’t need to spend. So yun, what I need from you guys is to add the core sa group since if they are not complete mahirap sila mareach. For the lunch, if g kayo sa potlock let me know since that’s what they did the last time. The pub will be internal lang, so ako na gagawa. Yung core team building dapat this Monday siya, but I will ask the core members nalang when they are free since puro no classes yung Monday. That’s it. Do you have questions or suggestions?
- Je: Nakalagay sa calendar Monday yung team building
- Josh: Bad weather kasi kaya imomove and sensing nalang for when.
IV. Freshie Election Updates - Sophomore Batch Reps
- Dylan: We had the orientation na awhile ago and the photoshoot we will send the photos to Orallo. 3 lang yung nagrun since people backed out pero there’s one who wants to be both econ rep and batch rep.
- Pat: We just need to ask, do we need to post photos sa council page?
- Josh: Council page. Since freshie elections were always sa council page.
- Dylan: Sagot din naman yung rooms natin
- Pat: Also okay na program, just send in questions.
- Je: Are all candidates running separate?
- Pat: Yung girls no
- Je: Tapos isa dun mage-econ rep?
- Pat: Yes
- Je: Since they’re running as a pair, sa ballot are they together?
- Josh: no not as a pair siya nakalist lang siya. Like last year, with Vina and Charyzah, Vina na-elect lang.
- Je: I thought there was a provision about that in the SEEB consti.
- Josh: Ever since naman pag batch-rep, hiwalay yung pangalan. Any more questions?
- Je: Tonight ba yung posting and tomorrow start ng campaign?
- Pat: Yes tonight na
- Je: So 12 am na pwede?
- Dylan: Yes pero iche-check pa namin.
- Pat: Kami lang dalawa magchecheck right?
- Josh: Yes.
- Je: Also, don’t adjust your sleep schedule ha like if they send their pubmats to you nang madaling araw, you can reply on the morning of the next day.
- Josh: Is that all? Tuesday yung convocs?
- Pat: Oo, 4:30pm.
- Josh: Okay thank you and good luck!
V. ASEO Updates - Vice-Chair
- Reg: Aug.13-15 yung ASEO Org fair tapos meron tayong 4 time slots per day 10-11:30, 11:30-1, 1-2:30, then 2:30-4. Required 2 shifts each with 2-3 people per shift so if someone adds, I’ll move them sa next shift. Yung contention ko rin, pag may time slot na walang tao, maglalagay ako ng people, if ever. Tapos, to be posted ito tomorrow. Also do you guys have extra extension for the orgs?
- Josh: We have here.
- Reg: Okay, also I need to call the ice cream for the free ice cream.
- Je: Saan to?
- Reg: Sa old tambs. The format pala, its all in the org fair bible which is in the ASEO facebook group. Isang hilera nalang sila
- Vina: Sa may cabinet?
- Reg: No the opposite side.
- Josh: What’s the flow?
- Reg: Galing sa council muna.
- Josh: Pero di ba 2 sides yung entrance? Ano rule mo?
- Reg: Wala naman ako pa-sheets like tuklas, pero suggestion sana council muna.
- Josh: Sabihan nalang yung ASEO na kailangan muna dumaan sa SESC booth
- Reg: Oo sige
- Josh: Tapos stamp nalang muna before umikot.
- Reg: Ayun lang naman so far. Just need extensions and help for ingress (9am) and egress (4:30). Yung opening program pala 12-1 on Tuesday. Go if you don’t have class please. Thank you!
VI. Grad. Students Check-Up - Econ Rep. to the USC
- Je: So next week na siya magaganap and thanks sa sec we have a partial database but we will still use the mailing list that SE 101 has since mas complete. I met with core na and what we will do is we will draft the email and I will have them review the form to check if everything is okay. I will also give it to STRAW and EdRes for comments. It won’t be about stands lang but also their inputs for projects. Target for sending is on Wednesday, so I will present the final output on next GA pero na-send na siya most likely since sa hapon GA natin.
- Josh: What is in it again?
- Je: Its like Econsult with their insights on our services and what not.
- Andi: Its like sensing in a sense.
- Je: Yes we also want to consider rin their insights sa statements natin for example, and what not. So yun lang.
VII. Integ. Night with Bakwit School - SAC
- Mikha: Esser posted that the Bakwit schools are back this sem and since Econ can’t accommodate them, we can visit them and do a cultural night and integration. Do you guys want to sabay integ with cultural night or separate?
- Je: You have to consult with them since they might not be available for both. Since a lot of other councils have their initiatives. But if kaya why not.
- Mikha: Is BRA willing to coordinate para more hatak? And I can ask Ecosoc for counts for incentive.
- Je: Do you have a target month?
- Mikha: Wala pa.
- Reg: Aabot ba sila December?
- Mikha: Not sure pero whole sem siya according to Esser.
- Maui: What’s your plan on the program flow?
- Mikha: If sabay yung integ sa cultural night may program talaga siya pero ill talk to those who did the integ last sem and baka we can use it this time around.
VIII. STRAW Updates
- Andi: Okay so, may 2 responses for Dear Straw. The first one was just a freshie who needed a Form 5a, they don’t have that kasi as freshies, so I talked to RVC and they told me to tell them to go to SE 101 to get it. For the second one, it’s about the mosquitos and the ants in Econ. Also online inventory for the hygiene kit.
- Josh: How will you guys do it?
- Andi: I was thinking of excel file tapos they update it when they open it.
- Josh: Feel ko better if manual na they go there and write down what they got through the log book
- Je: The concern is though to make it more accessible. For the manual count kasi, they have to go there and do it.
- Josh: Yeah that’s why it’s better since as they go there, the students log in what they get, then at the end of the week you check then update it.
- Andi: Yeah okay that’s a good idea.
- Je: Does the guard advise them to log in when they get?
- Andi: I’ll ask him to. Pero, for the mosquito problem, I checked online for fumigation services and they can go here to check and give a quotation. My concern about it lang is if econ has budget for it?
- Josh: yeah pero Ma’am Magno has to request it will take time lang.
- Je: A similar dear straw rin was brought up last year it was about pest control it took a while for the request to be processed. I agree rin with the situation of the tambs, since orgs encourage mems to tambay there and its concerning na they’re there tapos may mosquitos.
- Reg: I think we just need to make the matter urgent when we talk to Ma’am Magno.
- Josh: What we can do now is that we add citronella, Off, insect repellants, or if you can we can just buy spray from the budget of the hygiene kit. This is a short-term solution while we wait for the request for fumigation to be processed.
- Je: We also need to raise it to ASEO na what if matagal yung request sa admin so maybe puwede from the orgs na manggagaling yung efforts rin.
IX. Incoming Partnerships - MARC
- *Shin goes to get shirt downstairs*
- Maui: We were sent a proposal from Ecosoc Month and we sent them a counter-proposal but we have not heard from them yet.
- Josh: What’s the proposal?
- Maui: It’s from NES from Ecosoc to follow yung details about it! But are you guys G?
- Josh: Let’s clarify muna the partnership. Let’s move this to next week.
X. #MakeItRights DG Decon Updates - Vice-Chair, EdRes, and STRAW
- Vina: Very important that everyone listens since we won’t be present sa shifts so you guys need to explain the decon properly. This is relevant for them, so we need to expound it well. Instead of having a separate DG, we will have it sa org fair as well so it’s good na dadaan muna sila sa SESC booth before everything else. When they get there, you invite them for a short decon. It will be 5-7 minutes since the spiels are short. Make sure that you make concise points. Let’s avoid just reading sa spiels, it’s good that you guys add and put your own experiences. Yung original idea was to pass around primers from the MagnaCarta DG, but since we are going paperless, we will pass around a laminated infographic. Tapos, you guys should conduct the DG regardless of number. Tapos I want to reiterate that it’s important to explain the arguments on both sides. This isn’t for their approval, but our goal is to educate them about it. After conducting the DG, explain what FRB is and encourage them to sign the petition regarding the this. Also invite them to ask questions. So the outline: Magna Carta and FRB, arguments for and against for both documents. Magna Carta, we start with the definition, then discuss the history of the magna carta, and you say na currently it is in its lobbying face tapos marami nang na-conduct yung DGs and EDs about it. It’s important that I discuss the content, I didn’t include all provisions but the pertinent ones. It’s better that after you explain, you share your experience also with them. These are what I included- First article: fundamental rights, article 3: academic rights, article 4: right to adequate, accessible, and safe facilities of services, article 6: right to organization (org culture in UP), article 7: right to security (FRV, OASH concerns), article 8: right to disciplinary hearings. Then after those, we will say the arguments for the magna carta.
- Andi: First: asserts right for students, second: codifying our rights and allows us to have written proof of our rights, then when any of these rights are violated, they can use this document to protect their rights and make the ones involved accountable. Third, for a policy change, the document will still hold. It will legally protect the students from the change in role.
- Vina: Arguments against naman, first, najujustify yung increase ng school fees and we recognize school fee adjustments. This hinders the fight for free education. Also, article 3, sec. 3, says student orgs enjoy autonomy with accordance with the parameters of the university. This still hinders the orgs to move rin. Another argument, the BOR is the highest policy making body of the university so since students believe that the BOR is anti-student and it’s like we are conceding to that.
- Regina: For freshie recruitment ban, the definition is that it hinders the freshies right to belong to organizations of their choice. That’s our anchor reason on why we are fighting against this repressive policy. Tapos, we can state the UP Diliman code of student conduct then it’s also written that students who join orgs without completing the residency would entitle them to seek counselling with their guardians. This is bad rin since we are old na and we see na hindi siya makatarungan. Arguments for junking FRB- upholding democratic rights, organizations serve as platforms for student leaders, also an avenue for holistic development.
- Arguments against junking - it’s meant to protect students to make irresponsible decisions, adjustment is vital for the freshies, and students should be given sufficient time to choose which org they seek to be a member of.
- We see the reason why ASEO is campaigning against this. Our role as SESC is to make them realize their rights, as well as being student leaders, we should make them realize this. You guys should read it rin.
- Vina: Maganda nga siya if personal since it affects student’s life
- Josh: For the intro, baka maganda na you don’t need to state the articles. Like yeah explain what they are, then make kuwento about the article and your personal experience regarding that. Just ensure that all articles are touched on. Kasi di naman lahat ng articles madidiscuss all at ones
- Vina: The spiels are just your guides. I hope everyone reads. Ill post references and primers from before if you guys want additional information. Reg and I won’t be there. But andi will be there. There will be shifts that we won’t be there. Goal natin, lahat ng freshies ma-Decon.
- Reg: Add ko nalang rin, after the decon, encourage them to sign the petition against FRB.
- Klause: What’s decon?
- Reg: It’s a deconstructed discussion group. It’s an informal discussion group. This is based on your experience
- Vina: Yeah that’s why I say mas personal siya
- Josh: Don’t go more than 5 mins rin. Since they might not listen na.
- Reg: Also, it should be like a campaign DG rin since the SESC is for the magna carta
- Josh: Yes, but it’s important rin they know the contentions
- Je: If you guys have no idea how to answer their question, just say you’ll get back to them and raise it sa council chat. Yun lang naman. Last question, di naman sabay sabay dadagsa yung freshies, if someone comes late, do they join midway?
- Vina: Yes.
- Josh: Will you post it?
- Vina: Yes. Then one laminated copy.
XI. Other Matters
- Jv: For the keys, Josh plans to change the doorknob so I can’t have the keys duplicated since bago na siya.
- Josh: So yeah, I will request a new doorknob for it then that’s what we will duplicate. Next, Orallo.
- Orallo: *shows DP for buwan ng wika (SESC logo)* Which ones do you guys want? *last option wins*
- Je: Suggestion, can you show it someone outside council to see if they get it?
- Josh: Sa caption nila magegets!
- Orallo: White background or white? (Mario, vina, and pat are the only ones for white) Okay black.
- Je: Vina and I talked about the standmaking on endo and when we will hold it. It might be towards the end of the month. The flow is that: Econcepts, Econsult, then the responses will be collated then it will be brought up during stand making. To help supplement our discussion, isisingit ko in one of the GAs to talk about it more deeply (endo or contractualization, which is a bigger issue).
- Josh: Questions for Je? None? Next, Giselle.
- Giselle: For the printer, the paper that got caught in between so kailangan baklasin so we have to pay. My dad said he’s willing to pay for half. Pero, he said you can pay sa end of the year.
- Josh: okay sige balitaan mo nalang kami.
- *Vina and Andi gives receipts*
- Josh: okay give me all the receipts. Orallo, again.
- Orallo: For the pub requests may mga last minute ha. So, balak ko nalang, is if abot kayo ng 3 warnings for last minute pubs, you guys have to make your own pubs. This one is starting today. So, pinapagisipan ko if your own pub is one sem lang or for the whole year. But I’m still thinking about it. Yun lang naman.