Regular GA #3
August 26, 2017
Summary of the Meeting:
1. GA Tidbits
2. Welcome Freshie BReps!
1. GA Tidbits
- World: There was a solar eclipse last Tuesday; Next one will be on April 8, 2024
- Local: Bird flu from Pampanga is transmissible to humans
- UP: A student from CAL passed away due to Dengue Fever; Candle-lighting held in Sunken Garden for her.
- Random: Taylor Swift reveals new album, "Reputation" to be released on November 10
2. Welcome Freshie BReps!
- Bets: We have a set of House Rules and a House Cup system, so we’ll be assigning you to them. If you ever need to reserve the Council room or any of our other services, just let me know.
- *Ian arrives 5:14*
- Cams: You will be added to the opportunities portal. Partnership proposals will be posted in the group, you have to vote whether we should accept or deny; It requires you to help in liking and sharing events.
- Joaquin: You can course any pubs you will need through me. But I highly suggest you get someone who knows how to pub from your batch to be part of your core.
- Kevin c/o Howie: The form for financial requests has been posted in the group.
- Josh: The UFC is something like the USC on a Freshie scale. You will be handling events that cater to the whole freshie batch.
- Iyla: If you want to request for tutorials, you may ask me.
- Louise: For BRA Outreach, we’re already getting in touch with Habitat since it’s going to be on November. We’ll add you to the group chat so you know what to do.
- Howie: It’s important that you start holding sign-ups for your Freshie Core. Acads will handle the needs of your batch in terms of your acads like your tutorials, materials etc. For Schoolympics, you’ll need team captains. Finance will fundraise and handle your batch funds. Media and Pub will make the internal poster for your batch group.
- Yana: It was okay even if we didn’t get SE 114 or 115.
- Javi: The attendance from freshies was good, and they were engaging
- Yana: We went overtime by a bit since there were a lot of questions from Open Forum, so we had to pay overtime maintenance fee.
- Miguel: Next time, we should do live tweeting quoting the candidates and their questions.
- Howie: How’s your scheduling for STO?
- Yana: We’ll coordinate with the shiftees and transferees as well as Ma’am Magno regarding the new schedule.
- Miguel: Bets, can you give me another letter for Ma’am Magno saying that it’s on Thursday? The last time we talked she was game for Tuesday.
- Miguel: Good short and sweet program, but maybe we ca make more pakulos next time. Need to disperse the activation more throughout the week. I’m thinking of making the org fair 2 days instead; what do you think?
- Yana: Which days are these?
- Miguel: Thursday Friday.
- Miguel: Other org fairs are a lot more bongga in terms of set up and hatak, but I think it’s also because a lot of them are univ-wide.
- Miguel: One activity they had was they took reps per org to play games in the middle to show off like which is the best, but I get that the culture in Econ is very different.
- Miguel: I also have a partnership concern. CAP is asking if we can partner with them for CAPTURE so they may avail of room rates, but we can only do so much.
- Miguel: Cams and I are gonna have a meeting regarding SEAC concerns like the Tambayan.
- Howie: I think there is a disparity in terms of her standards for cleanliness.
- Miguel: I think they want us to use the cabinets at the old tambayan, but they’re full.
- Jolo: When is the next SEAC meeting?
- Miguel: Next week, but everything after SIKLAB.
- Howie: With calendaring, we need to fix that because there were 3 events on the same day.
- Iyla: I found the speakers really good since they talked about different things since we got Marte, Poncho, Julie and Sam who all talked about different things. Also, we got to save money.
- Iyla: I think the room was a downside since it was cramped, but I didn’t take SESC into account. I was slightly disappointed with the Freshie attendance.
- Iyla: Some improvements are, it can be integrated into the ORsem next time so we don’t have to spend and so it’s like an orientation. It can also be pubbed sooner.Last, better if I contacted speakers sooner. Hopefully, we can have documentation next time.
- Jackie: I think I liked it being a small room, so it’s more intimate and so the interaction is easier.
- Howie: Please don’t play video games during Council events.
- Josh: The speakers were nice because they all came from different fields.
- Jolo: I think the event can stand on its own but can be properly lined up with events next time. I like the fact that Edres had an event.
- Josh: We will have the fumigation when the weather clears so it doesn’t go to waste. Manila Water hasn’t come back to fix the back parking, so I’m going to write a complaint. For the CMO, I need to follow up since they aren’t responsive.
- Josh: MULAT on September 2 in Boso-Boso, 6AM call time. Liam suggested I partner with CSWCD students since they’re into these. I’m going to partner with SEAC orgs for it. I plan to rent jeeps to cut costs or ask people if they can provide transportation.
- Josh: TUKLAS will be Sept 28-29. The databases are okay. We’ve contacted NGPs, student orgs and only one has declined so far. We’re open to databases. Shoutout to Cams for helping me with the databases.
- Josh: BALITAAN on Sept 14. I’ll be asking throughout Econ regarding concerns of students, so it won’t be just an online form. From those concerns, we’ll determine who can be effective speakers.
- Howie: I’ve already started with it, but I’ll post it in the group first so we can polish it.
- Ian: We’re confident with our statement and ideas, we just have to put it into text.
- Howie: It’s taking a while since we want to be as careful as possible since once it’s out, it’ll be subject to comments.
- Louise: When is the target release?
- Howie: This Sunday.
- Iyla: For the Freshies, I think they should know that they can voice out their stands as well.
- Joaquin: I’ve already given the designs to Je and Kevin. It will be started once it’s been paid for.
- Cams: The shirts will start once we have the receipt.
- Bets: Kindly make a post in the group where we can comment “Paid” or not so we can take it into account, and have it made ASAP.
- Joaquin: Jackie, for DPs, which studio can we use?
- Jackie: Zone5 can give us studio time if we get BA to shoot early too.
- Joaquin: Until then, we’ll focus on scheduling.
- JackieL You can ask Cams to talk to PhilDiz.
- Joaquin: First option is Zone5. The second option is Camera Cart. I have more fun pegs for DPs.
- Howie: Post a poll in the group so we can see which date is best.
- Howie: This is for BRA. Ma’am Kraft emailed regarding getting the consent of students when it comes to releasing info for companies who are recruiting. My worry now is how to get the information if she won’t release who are the top students.
- Theresa: I think it’ll be easy to make a form since in the end, it’ll benefit them.
- Jackie: I think it’s important since it can be given to just anyone.
- Louise: I think it’s important to have the form since people are usually hesitant to give out information.
- Howie: Can you work on this next week after SIKLAB?
- Jackie: We can make a uniform form and share it per batch.
- Miguel: I gave a database of past SESCs to Jus Nuque for P&G
- Howie: A professor will be visiting on August 30, 1-3pm. She will be with 7 of her students. UPSE is asking if we can entertain them and attend a talk they’ll be holding. They will be talking about the beaten-off tracks of Japanese culture. Ma’am Kraft will be taking care of the room and refreshments. We need to bring around 20 people. BRA, please hatak.
- Miguel: I think you should ask for a pub
- Going: Jolo**, Ian, Joaquin, Louise, Jackie, Miguel, Cams, Theresa*, Howie*, Iyla
- Howie: For Fukuyama, they will be coming on August 29, 3:30pm in room 302 then we will tour them around UP for an hour.
Going: Joaquin, Jackie, Cams, Bets, Howie, Yana
- Bets: Maybe Je can make the Japanese talk a culture event.
- Miguel: Let’s pub it on our page.
- Jolo: Like and Share contest will go on until 11:59PM tonight. The highest one just sets the bar. We’ll be screencapping the posts at 12AM.
- Jolo: We’ll be having the lights and sounds set up by 1PM. By 4:45PM, their cars should be out of the area beside the lib.
- Jolo: We’ll be finishing the iced tea freebies by tomorrow. Get the banner structure yourselves so you can set up with your batch. By 5PM, no one is allowed in the SE Back anymore. Please go to your spots by 4:45PM. Know your marching areas.
- Jolo: Opening remarks after ingress and marching. That’s when Howie will light the bonfire. The batch cheers will be after that. Carlos will call you in order. Important for the Freshies to be able to pass by the fires safe. If ever we need to cut a game, it’ll be game 2. The batch presentations will be the longest part. We’ll start distributing the drinks then. After, we’ll have a picnic style dinner. Judges go before seniors. After computing the scores, we’ll have closing remarks.
- Jolo: Technical script will be posted. Our judges are Sir Florentino, Sam Cinco and Tita Rose.
- Jolo: Contingency plan. Light drizzles aren’t a problem since the trees cover up. If it gets harder, go back to bases. We move either to the bust or Audi. What do you think?
- Ian: I think the bust is okay so the momentum won’t die. Plus it’s still outdoors.
- Jolo: Make sure your batchmates are in color. We will only count upper torso colors.
- Jolo: Can anyone commit coolers tom? Miguel, Josh
- Jolo: Please get headcounts.
- Miguel: With Akwe, around 40 per batch is safe.
- Howie: Please stay for egress.
- Je c/o Bets: We have a partnership with Ecosoc sports for a workshop; we need to send attendees for split fees for the instructor if ever there will be one.
- Howie: Kindly send it to Cams.
- Je c/o Bets: Will Schoolympics push through next week?
- Steph: The Freshies have a math LE on Wednesday.
- Howie: Let’s coordinate regarding schedule with respective team captains.
- Josh: A STRAW Concern popped up, the water in the lounge needs cleaning.
- Howie: Let’s tell the staff about it.
- Louise: Someone left her notebook in the council booth last org fair in case anyone sees it, it’s light brown.