Regular GA #34
May 8, 2018
PV- PRESENT & VOTING
UL- UNEXCUSED LATE
UA- UNEXCUSED ABSENT
1. GA Tidbits c/o House House Papu’s: Kevin, Kayla, Javi, Josh (5 mins)
- World: Dozens of Palestinians die in protest and US prepares to open its Jerusalem Embassy
- Local: Barangay Elections were yesterday and approx.100 Congressmen were accused of vote-buying
- UP: SETs are due tomorrow, May 16
- Random: Duterte said that Sebastian Duterte and Bong Go to take the jetski instead of himself going to Benham _
- Jolo: I think we got to give most of the Xdeals. We just had a hard time since the cooler was small. We didn’t get to give all drinks cold. There was an ongoing thing for 198 too so people were busy and weren’t sure if we could give it to them.
- Josh: Actually, we were the ones giving the iced tea to the presenters. We ended up giving Jollibee burgers to those who joined. There was a mobilization in the afternoon of Friday so there were no more people to join the afternoon initiatives. The partners were really nice and even gave out free condoms and lube.
- Jackie: Maybe you could choose a different room since they had to whisper the results in the room.
- Paje: Maybe you can use CFME rooms.
- Josh: Dean doesn’t want us to use the rooms there anymore.
- Kayla: For the room, they would ask personal questions about sexual activity while others are in the room so maybe next time, a smaller one would be better.
- Je: Attendance was the only problem, so sayang the venue and music.
- Ian: Next year, they should discuss the latest possible deadline at around March.
- Howie: Let’s avoid scheduling it at around May.
- Gelo: It could be around end of Freshie Month.
- Paje: I think Econ Week is the best time to schedule it.
- Howie: Yeah, it shouldn’t even be during the last few weeks of April.
- Paje: I think they should push through with Cheerdance.
- Je: It’s something good to capitalize on.
- Josh: It’s good to instill the importance of being active as early as this.
- Paje: Motion to impeach Howie on the following grounds-
- Ian: I second the motion
- Paje: No objections? Consensus.
- Jolo: The thing with cheerdance is just like how we tried to model Freshmonth for thr freshies, we can try to instill it in the other batches as well
- Jackie: UPIS court is nice
- Iyla: The music was good
- Paje: There’s usually music during Schoolympics.
- Jackie: We could have a Kpop dance competition.
- Howie: The lib staff were asking how they canimprove the layout of the lib and regarding resources and whether students still use paper or the online sources. They were hoping to reach a lot of people for suggestions so we could make an online for for Econ. Ian, will this be possible?
- Ian: Yes
- Howie: They were asking about the changes they want added and even the vibe if they want it to be like a cafe.
- Paje: They should work on restricting those entering.
- Howie: They already check the IDs and I don’t think we can stop people from using our lib.
- Howie: Bets and I can make the form instead. It’s only around 5 questions.
- Iyla: Make sure it doesn’t only focus on the physical aspect but also the services.
- Je: They should provide us a list of the existing services. It would be nice if we could pub that.
- Howie: The next council is not yet complete so we can’t turnover yet. When is the next round of appointments?
- Kevin: May 26.
- Paje; Per the constitution, we cannot turnover yet.
- Howie: What will happen is there won’t be a formal ceremony in UPSE.
- Paje: We can have the lighting of the candle and white dress code in the back parking then go to transsem after.
- Howie: Can you make it earlier?
- Kevin: It’s finals week, so I don’t think people are going.
- Paje: It’s 10 days until the 25th, so you should have enough time to find three people.
- Je; You can pub tonight and interview by Friday.
- Paje: You can’t rely on people to sign up. You should talk to them so you can be more direct in scheduling.
- Jolo: We still need help with Junior Batch rep. We’ve talked to someone for Junior Batch Rep. We can still talk to someone for Senior Batch rep.
- Howie: So deadline by Friday, interviews by Saturday then Transsem next Thursday. For the awards, they were just posted online.
- Paje: We can’t announce the awards since there won’t be anyone there to see it.
- Howie: Since interviews will be done by this weekend, we’ll have it next Thursday, May 24. Jolo, let’s make it a program.
- DPs c/o Joaquin (5 mins)
- Joaquin: Do you guys want to have farewell DPs? I can take your pictures tomorrow in Econ. You guys can do whatever pose you want.
- Paje: I’ll post the peg tonight.
- Bets: You can post schedules for when people want to take so it won’t be hard for you to track.
- Paje: Let’s post it after Legacy on the 24th.
- Jackie: Aldrin is asking if we’re willing to release a support statement regarding the KUle incident since other councils have released as well.
- Paje: We all agreed consensus last time. Motion to release a statement regarding the Kule issue on the retaking of the editorial examinations.
- Je: I second the motion.
- Jackie: The statement can be our own stand but hoping we do not condone what happened.
- Howie: Okay, we have decided to release a statement. We can talk about it later.
- Iyla: I can work on a draft.
- Howie: It doesn’t have to be long as long as we get to release it.
- Howie: The alumni are asking for a video since they’re having a Las Vegas homecoming and would like to include it. I think it should be the new Council though since you will be the ones they’ll be contacting in the future. It can be a simple introduction.
- Bets: Please post Alay pictures.
- Javi: Just wanted to update you on SIDHI matters. We had our first meeting last week to discuss the structure, my role, pub & promos support, SIDHI collection fee, etc. We want to be able to release ana rticle at least twice a week, print an issue bimonthly, focus on content. Diego will focus on the website while ELain and I will work on the print and content. Diego sees it working as an rog with around 56 active members. The structure is not feasible now but in the future, we’ll work in it. We can’t be too rigid with the roles yet so we’ll work with the delegation now. They plan to have 18 committees which was cut down from the original. We envision SIDHI, not as a news-reporting org but rather analyze news through different lenses from the student body. We plan to meet with Ma’am Kraft by the end of the sem to get profs and alumni to write for us. We also want to partner with the TCIJ and the goal eventually is to make it univ-wide. We’ve written drafts and plan to give Ma’am Ho. Our goal is to humazine Econ and make it accessible to everyone. Joaquin, can you make one last pub to announce SIDHI is back? We’ll also be having recruitment and our first GA. We discussed the SIDHI fee and were unanimous in not collecting it. Diego is confident in his fundraising activities since we find it unfair to collect fees without consent and without posing our use to them. Lastly, we want to do a name-change since rebranding comes with it. We wanted to ask Council’s permission first.
- Paje: Ma’am Ho is a tenured prof but not exactly faculty. For the name-change, get an editorial board first then work on it.
- Howie: I’m not sure you should make it univ-wide.
- Javi: It’s Diego’s 5-year plan.
- Yana: Do you want it to be opinionated?
- Javi: It should be more opnion-based.
- Paje: Please make sure it stays an Econ org as an Econ publication.