Regular GA #4: October 14, 2020
GA Tidbits c/o House Audi
- Andi: World news; 10 people has died protest on police brutality human rights group told CNN that excessive force has been used on unarmedprotestors. Nigerian police has killed 10 people. SARS special anti robbery squad a controversial police squad. Announced sunday the unit will be dissolved.
- Reference: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/13/africa/nigeria-police-sars-victims-intl/index.html
- Rejam: Local: Antiporda attacks UP scientists and tells them that they shouldn’t ask for money.
- Reference: https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/free-ride-antiporda-attacks-up-scientists-insists-they-should-not-ask-payment/ar-BB1a0h4A?li=BBr8Mkn
- Gia: UP: The OVPAA scheduled a system wide midsemester reading break from 2 - 6 november for students to take a break or to read in advance. enjoins tha faculty to schedule synchronous sessions.
- Reference: OVPAA Memorandum No. 2020-117
- EJ: Random: A former manager of the US Department of Defense said that UFOs are indeed real. High profile event where the CIA Department of Defense all partnered to explore space in the coming year for human evolution and stuff like that to which a reporter asks the officer he said that indeed UFOs are real but what’s the important thing is we spend money determining if there are indeed threats.
- Reference: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fmr-manager-of-dod-aerospace-threat-program-ufos_b_59de2f4be4b0b992a8214874
Minecraft and Freshie Tour Evals c/o M&P Councilors and Freshie Batch Representatives
- Haqq: Hello. So we did a SWOT Analysis.
- Tayo ’yong very first to release the minecraft server as a student council
- We had high engagement in social media we have 24k reach. 6k engagements.
- We also had positive feedbacks. Nagustuhan ng mga alumni. Chiachat ako nila Josh and nila Jano. Gusto rin nila pumasok sa Minecraft server.
- Compared sa other tours, tayo ‘yong may pinaka-interactive sa tours. Hindi lang natin sila tinour sa Econ, nagkaroon rin ng mga games.
- The logistics needed ironing out. Nagkulang ‘yong participants natin for all the batches actually. Haqq and I weren’t able to discuss contingencies.
- We weren’t able to start on time so parang na-delay ‘yong event ng 20 mins.
- We had streaming issues, doon sa live so hindi siya naging masyadong maganda ‘yong flow masyado.
- There was difficu;ty rin in communication because there were a lot of channels on at the same time.
- We lack manpower din. Lalo na doon sa part na sa small initiatives like the finale sa fireworks because people needed to leave na and we weren’t able to orient them at the start.
- The original plans were executed come the latter part of the program na.
- because of the livestream, people were unmotivated to join the game na.
- It gave us the chance na pwede palang magkaroon ng games other than the usual games na amyoron council like the ones we did in AKWE. We can open the possibility to other events.
- Pwede nating gawing for public viewing ‘yong server. Pero there’s a feature in Minecraft na if alam mo ‘yong username ng isang tao, they can log-in using the usernames of other people. They can use my username and become the owner of the server.
- Duammi ‘yong mga facebook page na likes so it’s a possibility na tumaas pa ‘yong reach and engagements natin.
- Small server capacity hindi kami nakapag-entertain as much freshies na gusto namin sabay-sabay.
- there was damage done to the server nakita namin after the tour na may mga sira-sira. Minor lang naman pero we had to go through the entire structure ulit para ire-check kung ano kailangan punan.
- The performance of the actually app is subject to the specs of someone’s computer. so if hindi maganda ‘yong mismong computer, hindi rin magiging maganda ‘yong takbo.
- We notices na maraming na-disconnect. People were coming in and coming out.
- Kyla: Maybe we can get some feedback rin from the freshie care of FBR?
- Belle: The ones who did go, they actually really liked it. One person told me that it was very solid. Pero same observation. When others found out na may livestream, they preferred to watch it na lang.
- Rejam: They were worried that if you download the TLauncher baka may virus. When you download it kasi, may warning pa for Mac users and they have to change some privacy settings.
- Andi: How about from those who facilitated, any comments?
- Mario: I think what’s important to look at is that we should always check the status of the attendees.
- Mario: Motion to extend by 2 minutes.
- Jaro: I second the motion.
- Mario: Okay lang naman na magka-livestream and that they would rather watch the livestream but I think that we should always check if they will still push through para hindi na tayo nangangapa. We should also make it a standard that events such as this one will be livestreamed talaga so that everyone has that expectation. I think they didn’t know at first kasi na magkakaroon ng livestream kaya they signed up for it only to back out at the last minute.
- Emman: I think overall, successful naman ‘yong event. Pero I agree that we should have watched out talaga for unforeseen events such as if hindi ganoon karami ‘yong pumunta and planned contingencies for it. Again, I think it went great in the overall.
- Cami: For me, the fireworks show, pinakita na ni Haqq sa akin even before the event so I know what it was supposed to look like pero during the event na mismo, it was like one frame per second so I couldn’t really appreciate it. ‘Yon ‘yong napansin ko so baka same sa iba. Sa Mac thing, I get that pero okay lang naman siya talaga. Basta may assurance na tayo personally that we’ve already tried it. I think we can assure them further na wala namang virus.
STRAW Updates c/o STRAW-Sec Councilor
- Third: First, I will be talking about STRAW Initiatives. Then, discuss the OVCAA directive a bit. And then proceed to the discussion of new grievances we have received through Dear STRAW.
- STRAW Initiatives. So I’d like to thank everyone for being very supportive with the recently released STRAW over the Quarantine pubs. It really puts things in perspective kasi everything just went by fast, ang raming nangyari, and it's already midsem. We also gained a lot of engagement for the pubs. Thank you rin to M&P and core for the pubs kasi they have been really responsive! We’re also cooking up something pa for the Hell week, so stay tuned kasi we’re really doing this for the student body! Lastly, anothe initiative in partnership with Mitch and SBR is the Diwa directory. Thank you so much to Mitch, EJ, and Shin!
- OVCAA Reading Break. Just a little clarification lang with regards to the memorandum. I asked USC STRAW for clarifications lang regarding exams that have already been scheduled during those dates and the STRAW Councilor, Tierone, told me that supposedly it should be rescheduled but the term used again was “enjoined” so I know it’s a bit technical but this is kind of what happened in the past memorandum na rin. They will be having a meeting raw with the UP Offices involved so hopefully this issue can be raised.
- STRAW Grievances. Okay, so we have three new grievances. The first one is about the conduct of a professor. Although it is apparent naman that the student is pertaining to a specific course and professor, it was not really mentioned in the grievance. It’s an amalgam of a lot of issues, really. There were issues with regards to the doability of course assessments during a small amount of time despite the complexity. Deadlines were set beyond the time of the class even though it coincides with other classes. The professor is also very unresponsive when being emailed.
- With regards to this, we have received a similar grievance in the past weeks with one of the courses in Econ. For the information of the body, we have been coordinating with Ma’am Magno and some concerned students na rin to make sure that the issues raised with regards to the conduct of courses in UPSE is taken care of. The admin has been very responsive naman so we’re hopeful that this will lead to better results for the students. However, if this issue still persists, please do not hesitate to send us another grievance through Dear STRAW or contact me. If the students are willing to share more specific information regarding these cases, I’m more than willing naman to coordinate closely with them.
- So for our next two grievances, they are about Econ 131. They’re very similar to the point that they are almost the same in content pero this just means that it’s not just one student who faces this issue with the course. The grievance is primarily about the workload of 131. Masyado raw kasing pinapagawa even though hindi pa talaga siya nata-tackle. Let’s start with asking muna, is anyone from the council currently taking 131? Can you share your experience with the course?
- Andi: Yas muna, then Mitch, then Haqq.
- Yas: Every session on Friday, mayroong breakout room for 10 mins, tapos surprise kung sino magpre-present. Tapos Sunday talaga dapat ‘yong quiz pero it was moved to Monday tapos may quiz every week. It’s all group work. Laging may work during the session hindi masyadong nagtuturo.
- Third: Extend by 5 minutes.
- Haqq: I second the motion.
- Mitch: ‘Yong quiz hindi siya ‘yong tinuro niya ‘yong Friday. Minsan ‘yong idi-discuss pa lang. Mangangapa ka talaga and usually proving siya. Kaya nakiusap na lang rin ako kay Sir kung okay lang bang i-move na lang sa Monday ‘yong deadline. Sa problem set, yes groupings rin pero again, hindi ‘yong way na pagkaka-discuss niya online. Para masagutan ‘yon sometimes you have to refer to other sources talaga. Hindi match ‘yong tinuturo niya sa mga gusto niyang pasagutan and masyadong mabilis.
- Haqq: For me naman, I came from Stat na course, I think there should be laboratory classes kung saan doon namin ginagawa ‘yong mga activities. We really lack supervision. Proving na pinapagawa niya sa totoo lang hindi yata makakatulong masyado sa mga students ‘yong mga quizzes niya kasi gino-google lang eh. Pati mga groupmates ko doon for that subject eh. I think we should convince him or say something regarding this.
- Third: Okay, so thank you very much for sharing your experiences with the course. With regards to Haqq’s suggestion sa lab classes, I think that’s a good suggestion pero I don’t think lang na it’s doable within the sem kasi it entails restructuring the course pa and lesson plan so baka after this sem, we can raise it na rin to the admin. Tapos sa iba naman, over the course of the week I will be coordinating closely with you on what our next steps will be kasi I want to know muna kung ano na ‘yong mga actions na na-take ng students. Pero we’re going to work fast na rin of course kasi parang wala lang rin if sa dulo pa mangyayari ‘yong changes.
- Andi: We should raise it muna to the professor, by the way, before raising it to the admin kasi baka kaya naman siyang mapakiusapan.
- Mario: So, nage-email kayo sa kaniya. Sa past experience ko kasi with Sir, he’s very responsive naman. Basta lalapitan niyo lang siya.
- Yas: We’ve been talking to Sir naman pero I guess may mga nahihiya lang. Hindi rin kasi namin nage-gets ‘yong reasoning niya behind the probsets pero his defense is that it’s a way raw to know kung sino talaga ‘yong gumagawa.
- Mario: Extend 5 minutes.
- Mitch: I second the motion.
- Mario: ‘Yong experience namin with Sir is that he was really approachable naman. I think he’s reasonable naman. He’s chill pero baka hindi lang halata kasi everything’s online. We should straight up tell him to lighten the burden for the course na.
- Haqq: I just want to raise na maraming students na may Stat 101 na hindi natapos and they only have bridging for that and I think that’s one of the reasons why nahihirapan talaga sa course. We lack the proving part para matapos ‘yong mga quizzes. It’s hard to keep up kasi late siya nagbibigay ng lecture slides.
- Andi: My suggestion is what if we ask the admin that during the reading break they issue evaluation forms for the courses para the professors can assess talaga how the students are handling course requirements.
- Mario: Sa experience namin, he asked us what we wanted to do with the quiz. We decided as a class naman and told him lang. He’s open naman basta class effort talaga.
- Mitch: ‘Yon nga kasi mahirap lang kasi parati niyang dine-defend na wala naman raw mga exams kaya this is his way of knowing kung paano na hina-handle ng students.
- Andi: ‘Di ko gets ‘yong defense niya kasi the probsets have topics na hindi pa naman niya talaga dini-discuss.
- Mitch: Open rin naman siya to consultations during class pero wala rin talagang matnaong ‘yong iba kasi hindi nga nila gets. They don’t know what they don’t know.
- Andi: First action step is to talk to Sir talaga. What happened to another course in Econ that the whole class wrote a letter. Up to you na if gusto niyong mag-write ng letter with the class.
- Third: I’ll be coordinating with you guys! Thank you! That’s all for my part.
EdRes Updates + Debate 101 Updates c/o EdRes Councilor
- Emman: Very brief lang naman. Partnerships: Debate 101, NYC, Finlit talk.
- Debate 101. This Saturday siya. The speakers are from Debsoc and topicsl like why do you need to learn debate and how to frame your arguments in a way that it benefits you will be discussed. Please hikayatin niyo mga members ng core niyo na sumama. I’ll be posting the main pub on the core group. ‘Wag kayo magulat if marami akong ine-email for the incentives na mga professors. The good news is that 70 na ‘yong nag-register compared to our expected 40-80 lang pero of course hindi naman lahat makaka-attend. Sultiin na natin ‘yong partnership with Debsoc kasi this can lead to more partnerships in the future.
- Finlit. Get FIN(lit), underway na ‘yong preparations for Oct. 24. Hatian ng speakers rin ay 50/50 with IC so naghahanap na kami ng speakers for the event ngayon. Ine-expect namin na ma-finalize na ‘young partnerships by Saturday.
- NYC. Complete na tayo sa manpower quota natin so very good. I’ll post the manpower tracker. Please do check that out. Again I’ll bump that later and check an lang if nasama kayo and ‘yong core member niyo. I’ll be sending the pub quota later. For the new members of the council, FBR, past kasi ng responsibilities natin to NYC is that we have to ask people to share NYC pubs.
- For acad alliance, may tutorials na tayo. May 4 classes tayo na nag-request na ng mga tutorials. Medyo nahihirapan lang sa paghanap ng tutors. Pero we’re looking at creative ways of finding tutors. We’ve tried to tap grad students din. The grad students are having a hard time kasi ang super hassle ng workload nila. Pero rest assured, we’re working on it na agad.
- Statements. Question for Jaro in particular, kailangan natin ng support statement for Pride diba?
- Jaro: Emman, I’ll get back to you agad.
- Andi: Any questions for Emman?
- Third: Will council be required to attend Debate 101?
- Emman: Supposedly, yes. Pero baka I might require you na lang to attend either Debate 101 or the Finlit talk.
- Mario: How about for the Finlit talk, marami na bang nag sign-up for it?
- Emman: Hindi pa namin rine-release ‘yong registration form, pero we’ll be releasing it by Monday.
- Mario: Okay. I think you should check the number of people attending each event na lang and allocate appropriately the number of Councilors attending each event.
- Andi: Any more question? Good luck sa event this Saturday.
Partnership Proposals c/o Ways and Means Councilor
- Jaro: Bago ako mag-start, let me just apologize kasi originally I was supposed to talk about 3 partnership proposals lang, pero may bagong tatlo so I’ll b eextending. STAT SC, JPEG, PPE, JMA, Tulong Isko, pub schedules for SARC.
- STAT SC. October 19. ED about Data Empowerment from Activism. Ito ‘yong kanilang packages [flashed on screen] likes and shares. Mayroon silang option na walang required attendees. Okay, g na po tayo for publicity partnership for STAT SC.
- JPEG. Optional ‘yong attendance. Publicity lang usually. Major, minor, media. Majority pass. Pass po tayo sa JPEG.
- PPE. Proyektong Panlaban Epidemya. Sila ay college students from UA&P. They have a donation drive for frontliners and tailors. Okay, minor partner tayo for PPE.
- Jaro: Motion to extend by 10 minutes.
- Haqq: I second the motion.
- UP JMA. MarkEd is an event about marketing and they will be partnering with Del Monte. They will be having a case reveal na rin as part of their competition. Pass po tayo sa UP JMA.
- Tulong Isko. Major, Minor, and Publicity. May monetary donation sa Major and Minor partnership packages. the DP blast is required. Okay, minor po tayo sa Tulong Isko.
- Okay so, we’ve approved three partnerships.
- Sanctuary. Question muna, do we have pubs scheduled tonight, M&P? Kasi this was sent to our email from The Sanctuary Project and they’re asking if we can share this pub.
- Kyla: Wait lang, we’re checking the calendar. Kaya naman!
- Jaro: Okay po pasok na tayo sa ating majority, we’ll be sharing this pub sa council page.
- Last agenda. Remind ko lang po batch reps regarding the P&G pub tonight , pa-share na lang.
- Andi: Required Juniors and Seniors Councilors to attend the P&G event.
Ways & Means Updates c/o Ways and Means Councilor
- Jaro: Hello everyone, update ko lang kayo sa progress ng Ways and Means when it comes to our initiatives. Naka-prepare na lahat ng google forms for the resume bank. I have already coordinated with the M&P Councilors release for Saturday, 8 PM. Please like and share na lang and pa-publicize sa mga batch gc and batch groups. Heads up lang rin to the M&P Councilors, my teammates and I will be coordinating closely with you for the uploading of opportunities to the SESC website. For the E-store, we will launch the inventory sale, latest next week. Medyo nag-focus rin kasi ako sa donation drive since ang raming ganap. I apologize but rest asssured, latest next week mala-launch na ‘yong inventory sale. For small scale IGPs, my teammates and I will have a meeting this Friday. We will be updating you regarding it. I am very positive that we will come up with something profitable and feasible.
- Donation drive. For donation drive, please allow me to give an update in behalf of BRA and Ways and Means. So right now, we’re in the middle of acquiring partnerships and sponsorships from corporations and organizations. We have 6 org partners na rin. I have met with the heads of the batch rep alliance na rin. Inform ko lang council that we are having difficulties with sponsorships kasi businesses have already allocated their budget for the year. For orgs naman, medyo nagfo-focus sila on their own initiatives and those who are declining are saying that they want to focus on their own projects right now.
- Sponsorships. We have 2 corporate sponsorships., Dove, 13k worth of x-deals. Magagamit ‘yon ng mga displaced workers from the UP Campus. The next one is from Amway Philippines, 10k pesos worth of energy drinks. Helpful to the workers, Lalo na sa mga security personnels na may shifts parin sa campus. And then, last Tuesday, I mentioned to you guys regarding the billboard advertisement from Digital Out-Of-Home Incorporated. They are an advertising company and they have billboards along EDSA. They are willing to have the donation drive advertised, and I will keep you guys updated about it. They’re just asking lang for a deed of donation. I think we can all agree that it is a good opportunity.
- Andi: ‘Yong deed of donation, parang certificate lang ‘yon right or no?
- Jaro: Usually kasi Andi, it’s notarized. Ilang beses kami nag-call ng representative ng company. What we usually provide ay sponsorship memorandum of agreement. The problem is that e don’t know the specifications and the format of the document. She sent me a sample format which was not notarized, and I’ve noticed that it was a BIR form and not a deed of donation. I’m still waiting for their response for clarificationsm and then I’ll keep you posted.
- JC: Just wanted to say that donation drive will be released this coming friday. 8 PM.
Midsem evals calendaring c/o Chairperson
- Andi: Just for everyone’s information, every midsem we meet up as a council and then we discuss our external evaluations conducted by the Secretariat and our internal evaluations conducted by the Vice Chair. It’s probably going to be a long meeting na lang since we can’t meet physically naman. I wanted to discuss the date with you guys kung kailan tayo free. Pero surely it’s going to be more than a week from now. I was going to ask you guys if okay lang ba na gawin natin siya during the reading break since we don’t have classes? The available dates are from November 2 to 6. Does anyone have a big deadline on the 7th?
- Mario: ‘Di pa sure pero baka may isa akong exam after that week. So baka it’s better if at the start of the week na lang or end of October.
- Andi: Pwede namang last week of October. Siguro I’ll poll nalang so that everyone can choose kung anong date siya available because the date has to be a date where everyone is free. Bawal na may isang wala. Let’s be in agreement with that na lang. That’s all.
STATA/R Refresher c/o Senior Batch Representatives
- EJ: Hello, okay so good news. We already have a date and time for our seminar. So as you all know, the stata seminar will focus on more advanced codes that are important for graduating students. Hopefully by this time around maraming pupunta.
- Steph: For our speaker naman, last week parang naging hassle kasi we were jumping from speaker to speaker. One speaker we talked to has not touched Stata for a while. Thankfully, oneof the people we’ve approached gave us possible names for speakers. The first person he suggested was g agad. Nag-yes siya to Stata. We were still looking for R and he told us that he can also be the speaker for R. The speaker is AJ Lumba. He’s an Econ graduate and working in ADB right now. He’s our speaker for the Stata and R refresher. Thanks rin to Andi kasi super hassle ng coming Monday for us. At first, magko-coincide ‘yong talk with the P&G event if hindi na re-sched ‘yong open house kasi the speaker was only available from 1-4. So na-move name so we’ll have it by 1-4. For attendance naman, not required since it’s a senior batch event but if you guys want to go feel free to message any of us para we can PM you guys the details.
- Andi: Let’s finish by saktong 4 para hindi ma-late sa Open House kasi nakakahiya if ever na mag-extend pa tayo. Good luck on Monday!
- Haqq: So the M&P Councilors are going to have a tracker na for the pubs. Once a pub is posted and ishe-share namin ni Kyla ‘yong pub, you guys have to tag your core members. And then ‘yon lang ‘yong ime-measure namin not the numer of people from your core who reacts to the pub mismo kasi super hassle na noon. Once they reacted to your message sa comment section, it means that nabasa nila ‘yong pub and they have interacted with it na. So, kayo na bahala siguro kung paano niyo sila mapapa-react sa mga mention niyo sa comment section. Pero that’s how we’re going to measure it sana. Third, maybe we can add house point incentives na lang regarding this?
- Third: I’ll be talking to you na lang privately regarding what our system for this could be.
- Haqq: Ito ‘yong ratio ng engagement over reach. Naga-average tayo ng 17-20%. I think that’s good. Mataas ‘yong engagement natin as a council.
- Kyla: Inform ko lang ‘yong ibang councilors na palapit na rin ‘yong week na hindi kami tatanggap ng requests. So may pub deadlines kayo the week after that please request na lang before the week.
- Mario: Econ will participate in all Dilgames esports. for DOTA 2 we’re partnering with STAT. Other than that, we’re good to go.
- Andi: Does anyone else have any other matters? Okay, thank you Council!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- E N D ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------