Regular GA #5
September 6, 2017
P- Howie Ronsayro
P- Miguel Paje
P- Ian Serrano
P- Betina Sales
P- Kevin Lobo
P- Camille Gregorio
P- Joaquin De Guzman
P- Jolo Zagala
P- Iyla Ferrer
P- Jeremiah Tomas
P- Josh Quimbo
P- Jackie Comendador
P- Theresa Morada
EL- Kayla Fabi
EL- Louise Faraon
P- Yana Chan
P- Javi Vilchez
P- Angelo Porciuncula
P- Stephanie Shin
UL- UNEXCUSED LATE
UA- UNEXCUSED ABSENT
Summary of the Meeting:
1. GA Tidbits
1. GA Tidbits
- World: South Korea’s Navy held major fire drills in warning to North Korea
- Local: President Duterte said that if he were the Marcoses he would ask for immunity from future prosecutions
- UP: MMDA trains 100 dogs at the UP Vanguard to help save lives during disasters
- Random: Taylor Swift’s New Single Look What You Made Me Do Bolts to No.1
- Javi: We had another one awhile ago for those who could not go here in the Council Room
- Yana: With the number of shiftees and transferees, I think we should get a smaller room but SE 102 was already reserved.
- Javi: I met shiftees and transferees in our NSTP classes, so I think we should have a consolidated list of all the shiftees and transferees.
- Yana: They only gave us the list of accepted shiftees, but not all of them went to Econ. Also, Ma’am Magno was absent so we had to do it ourselves.
- Javi: Shoutout to Paje for helping us out.
- Howie: There are extra primers from RVC in SE 101.
- Je: Is there a pub with all of the things that were discussed in the STO?
- Joaquin: You can ask Gail to make an infographic.
- Howie: I like the feel of the event. It was casual and intimate.
- Iyla: Anticipate that people won’t ask questions so have some questions prepared.
- Jackie: Always have a backup speaker especially in the event that she wasn’t there for a long period of time, you could ask someone like Paje to take over.
- Josh: I was expecting only 10, but we reached 30 (6 of which were Council). There were just last minute back outs.
- Josh: I asked for evals from other people. Some think that there should be a program or that the program should be shared with the volunteers first instead of just being left to go off with a family. Others suggest that they be paired with someone so it’s easier to interact.
- Josh: The community was already used to the immersion since Ateneo has up to 3 -day immersions.
- Jackie: It would be nice to have a pair. If there weren’t a kid to play with, I think it might have been awkward just watching TV since the mom had to sell outside. A briefing would also be nice so we know what to expect.
- Iyla: A lot were asking what kind of immersion it was, and people didn’t know what the nature of it was. Overall, it was nice.
- Howie: How was the attendance?
- Josh: There were a lot of Freshies. In terms of orgs, there were more Ecosoc.
- Howie: Let’s try to still get more people
- Yana: Maybe next time you can send the route to the drivers since the way was a little confusing.
- Josh: That was my mistake because I wasn’t familiar with the place either, so we were just following the Ateneo bus to the place. If Wazed, it will lead you elsewhere like what happened to Jolo.
- Jackie: Maybe we can have a common gift in the future to avoid comparing.
- Jackie: Great attendance since it was a full house. The speakers were great so thank you to Theresa since they were really helpful. Sir Punongbayan was really good with the refresher. He had a sense of urgency since it ended at 6:30,
- Jackie: My mistake was the wrong printing of the date. A lot suggested that we include R in the seminar. The room in the pub was also wrong since it was supposed to be 121, not 114 but we got to brig it.
- *Kayla arrived 5:30*
- Jackie: For STATA, next time we should just have a consultation for STATA Seminar.
- Theresa: We were supposed to have a consultation of STATA models, but the time was already eaten up.
- Howie: For the seniors who went, did it help?
- Theresa: The speakers were overachievers, so it was a little pressuring.
- Miguel: It was pressuring but inspiring. It was really helpful especially those not given a thesis prof.
- Jackie: At least now we know that some things like data gathering takes 2-3 months and the thesis itself only 1 month.
- Howie: Try getting feedback from other seniors while it’s still fresh.
- Joaquin: For the pub, please send a psd file so we can fix it in case of mistakes.
- Je: For Schoolympics yesterday, the hatak was good, but Nicc had to be brought to the hospital. Next time, please make sure batches go to the venue earlier.
- Je: Instead of September 30 for Museum Visit, it will be on the 23rd. We need to provide 2-3 cars and attend. (Paje, Josh, Je, Howie) They will be in charge of the pub. This is open to anyone.
- Howie: They can make the pub then we can pub it in the Council page.
- Howie: There’s an Ecosoc partnership for a flag football event on September 14 in the Sunken Garden. We’ll be making it open to other orgs too.
- Je: Schoolympics Volleyball might be moved.
- Jackie: Alburo has an UVLE homework that has to be answered from 7pm to 10pm.
- Howie: Did Batch reps have a hard time making hatak for Schoolympics?
- Yana: They were game to play.
- Kayla: They like the sport, so they played.
- Angelo: A lot of them went.
- Jackie: Someone suggested Badminton.
- *Louise arrives 5:44*
- Je: Wait for E-games like 2k and online games.
- Jackie: Can you please give me a list of the final games. For Dilgames, please announce tryouts.
- Joaquin: Since there are a lot of games, maybe we can have a pub of the lineup of all the games so we can hype it up.
- Ian: For Lakbayan Integration scheduling, when can you guys visit? It can be at least 2 hours. It’s across Cente.
- Howie: Post a poll in the group so we can find a common free time.
- Ian: Econsult content; I posted initial content in the group with pros and cons. It explains the 4 sem rule and why it needs to be talked about. I’ve thought of 2 each but it would be nice to have more. The good points are 1, higher quality of students and 2, students finish in prescribed times. The cons are 1, students don’t finish degrees because of rule, 2, other factors may have affected their not being able to accomplish within allotted time (no profs, no slots etc)
- Iyla; Will there be a rationale?
- Ian: I put the context, rationale and how it has affected various students.
- Ian: We won’t be releasing a stand yet. We’re just consulting with the students. After, we make a paper with numbers to back it up.or our subjects, so you get the subjects to come,
- Kayla; Another con is COI is no longer allowed so you can’t COI Stat 101 and take Econ 131. Some electives are seasonal, so they can’t take 121/122.
- Ian: Have you thought of pros?
- Je: So students know whether Econ is still for them.
- Iyla: I think the 4 subjects are the fundamentals for the coming subjects so they need to know it well.
- Howie: So that’s additional pressure to get the fundamentals.
- Jackie: Maybe they can just impose when to take it rather than start the 4sem rule at a point in the Econ student’s life.
- Ian: I’ll post the google form. What are nice questions for the form?
- Howie: The best we can do is to give recommendations to the admin.
- Iyla: After the GE Reform, it is an opportunity to change the curriculum. This way, the admin knows which subjects to allot to which batch.
- Iyla: For tutorials, I’m consolidating the dates first so I can give just one letter to the admin. 131 Yap and 106 Navarro sure. I’ll have to see about 131 Florentino. Math 102 is on September 18, so we’ll schedule one that might be simultaneous with 106 and 131. Also, please check the acad kit for any needs tinyurl.com/UPSEAcadKit1718.
- Iyla: Free Market has 2 articles for September.
- Iyla: Kape is on September 28 already except those with class. The following are our confirmed speakers:
- Econ Perspective: Renato E. Reside, Jr., PhD. (Assistant Professor, UPSE)
- State Perspective: Ms. Ma. Teresa Habitan (Assistant Secretary, Department of Finance)
- Business Perspective: Ms. Tomasa "Tamy" Lipana (former country chair of PWC-Isla Lipana)
- Labor and Lower Income Perspective: Ms. Mae Buenaventura (Vice President, Freedom from Debt Coalition)
- Iyla: The order will be speech, debate, and open forum. We’ll be sending incentive letters next week or next next week. GEs are generous with public forums, so you can convince them.
- Iyla: I’ll post the taskings a week before Kape, so you’re informed asap.
- Iyla: For NYC, we have 10 confirmed schools already, but our goal is 30 by the end of September.
- Iyla: For MP3rd, how much is our discount?
- Cams: I’ll have to check with them since the more we rent, the bigger the discount.
- Iyla: I’ll follow up with the printables.
- Josh: STRAW Fair theme will be Hands-On. We’ll be giving the Dove X-deals when they enter. We’ll be giving away pamphlets with the NGOs. The stickers will be made by Gail and Klause as a freebie. I’m coordinating with Cams for the corporate partners. Ot’ll only be 2 days, 28 and 29th of September. There will be a short program where the booths intro themselves 1-2 minutes.
- Josh: Balitaan will be on September 14, so we need to continue consulting with the students.
- Josh: A STRAW Concern was brought up regarding the lines of the front parking.
- Howie: We’ll need to coordinate with BA and admin regarding that.
- Jolo: You can give away the iced tea too for the STRAW fair.
- Howie: Who do you plan to invite from admin?
- Josh: I’ll have to see based on the concerns.
- Josh: The fumigation will be starting already, but tambayans need to clean up as well.
- Kevin: There’s a Sunday Food Fair on September 17, but it isn’t allowed in AS anymore, so we’re moving it to the QC Circle. We plan to make it on 2 weekends (4 days) since it’s currently reserved until September 20.
- Kevin: The Ecosoc partnered bazaar is Silakbo. We’ll be using the Zest page since it already has 1k likes. Sol already approved.
- Kevin: Please sell and buy E*Store merchandise.
- Kevin: Fin won’t have anything to do after the Bazaar since everything will be covered. The next IGPs will be in January for Econ Week.
- Ian: What happened to the stickers?
- Kevin: We’ll be releasing it after September 25.
- Howie: Homecoming will be in November, so you should be able to produce a lot since they like buying on the spot.
- Howie: How are we in terms of money?
- Kevin: We still have around 5k. Fin is avoiding small-scale IGPs, so at the start of the sem, I already allotted money to shell out and get back like for bazaars etc.
- Howie: Please make sure that those who ordered pay before it is made.
- Cams: I just want to follow up the UPIC event on September 23.
- Cams: UP Pride Launch is on September 12. We need to send 3 (Bets, Iyla, Angelo, Je, Paje, Steph) at 11:30-1pm. We also need to send 3 for the September 14 forum in the SE Audi, 5-8pm. Pride march assembly is at 3pm and they start marching at 4pm. We need to send 5. (Paje, Cams, Javi, Joaquin, Steph, Angelo, Yana, Jackie). We need to bring at least one poster in support.
- Jackie: We had a primer distribution awhile ago. The team is complete including those who are not Seniors. Grad Rites is supposed to be on Saturday but we moved it to Friday since every afternoon is CSSC; we don’t want a conflict. I’ll be posting a poll regarding this.
- Jackie: We’ll be having a meeting in the Council Room this Thursday.
- Miguel: SIDHI is a SEAC org, and every sem we give SIDHI 20k except this year since our Council Fee was only 75 pesos instead of 100 pesos. I was trying to meet with Francis along with Howie, but we never got to meet. Basically, we need to spearhead looking for the new EIC and officers for SIDHI. Iyla can also have a hand in this since she has articles out every month.
- Ian: We can also tell them that SESC will be there to help them out.
- Iyla: The free market is full of opinions so I think it would be nice to have objective pieces too.
- Miguel: I’ll be the one to talk to Francis tomorrow.
- Joaquin: Cams has been talking to Zone5 and we got a discount but it’s still 350 pesos per head. Camera Cart is just 2100 for 3 hours, so we’ll use them instead. You can send me pegs.
- Je: We still have vouchers from Skip Tan.
- Joaquin: If he has lights, please ask him to bring it.
- Joaquin: IDs will be released on Friday and shirts will be released on Monday.
- Jolo: For our SESC events, please let me know if you need freebies since we still have a lot of X-deals.
- Je: We might visit our batchmate who passed away in Taguig, so you may come along.
- Louise: We’ve contacted JJ Flores and he’s g but he just got accepted into a job, so he might not be available.